Keep it simple with a solid or go bold with a pattern and use it as your jumping off point for the rest of your room. With so many styles and colors to choose from, you can change the personality of any room in just minutes.
Here are a few things to keep in mind when shopping for a rug:
Will the rug lead the inspiration for the room? Or will it be the subtle finishing touch?
• If it’s the inspiration, have fun with patterns and colors and then choose your favorite highlight to pop in a few other places throughout the room (i.e. vases, pillows, throws).
• If it’s the final touch, choose something that will ground the room. Keep the pattern and colors more subtle, but have fun with some tone on tone or play with texture.
How do you know what size rug to buy? Excellent question! Here are some basic guidelines:
• Living Room: Leave approximately 10” of exposed floor around the entire room.
• Bedroom: Measure so it will fall about 3’ around the perimeter of your bed.
• Dining Room: Pull your chair out from the table as if you were about to sit down, then add another foot.
Where will you be using it?
• Is it for a high traffic area? Make sure you choose something durable. The lifetime of some rugs can be extended by flipping them.
Should you get a rug pad?
• Yes! Rug pads not only provide extra cushion and comfort, but they protect your floor as well. They also help absorb the wear and tear on the rug which in turn extends the rug’s life.